Registered with the Teaching Council of Ireland
Máire is interested in the educational benefits of using computers, at home, school and in the office. There is lots of fun to be had, things to find out about and to create using technology.
Maire likes to focus on a student centred approach using a variety of resources to help motivate and encourage learning. She has worked in the area of education and technology since 1995 promoting computer literary and helping hundreds of people of all ages and abilities to enjoy using computers and become more computer literate, including those with special needs. She is particularly interested in integrating professional online courses to provide a blended, attractive learning experience to people of all ages and abilities.
COMPUTERS FOR CHILDREN
She is running after-school programmes for primary school children for six years and older promoting computer skills, helping children to have fun learning. She is very keen that students have a great foundation in the core skill of computer literacy and maths for further learning.
ONE-TO-ONE TUITION AT HOME AND IN THE OFFICE
She provides tuition in homes to students with dsylexia – integrating professional online programmes into education to provide a more visual and creative approach to education, often attractive to those with dsylexia.
She also helps adults using programmes such as Microsoft Office and the Google suite to become comfortable and efficient using computers in their home or office.
- Running an after-school programme for primary school children in coding in the French School, Foxrock.
- Teaching in Setanta Secondary Special School, Stillorgan, for those with autism.
- Providing one-to-one tuition in homes and offices for students with dyslexia and adults learning computers.
- She has just completed delivering a 10 week part-time course, ‘Advanced Computer Skills‘ as part of the Repower Programme aimed at women going back to work, in Monkstown for Southside Partnership.
She was a volunteer mentor with CoderDojo Coding Club, Dun Laoghaire and part of the team organising the successful international CoderDojo Conference in Dun Laoghaire a few years ago.
Post-graduate courses in education and teaching:
- ‘Post Graduate Diploma in E-Learning, Education and Management’ 2014, Dublin City University
- ‘Post Graduate Certificate in Education’ (History and CSPE – Secondary Schools), University College Dublin
- ‘Further Adult Education Teaching Certificate’, NVQ 4, City & Guilds‘
- ‘Teaching basic skills of literacy and numeracy‘ certificate, NVQ, City & Guilds
‘Continuing Professional Development’ part-time courses in education:
- ‘ABC of Autism’, Blackrock Further Education Institute, 2017/18.
- ‘Dyslexia Training’ Certificate, Dyslexia Association of Ireland, 2016
- ‘Film Making in the Classroom’, by FÍS, 2016, Dublin West Education Centre
- ‘Promoting Positive Behaviour and Well-being in the Classroom’, Blackrock Education Centre, 2015
- ‘Using the Scratch Program to develop Numeracy’ , Dublin West Education Centre, 2015
- ‘Child Protection‘, day course 2015, Coder Dojo Association
- ‘Using ICT for Literacy and Numeracy in Junior Classes‘, Blackrock Education Centre, 2015